Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 61,910,336
  • Today: 4,181
Server InfoServer Info
  • Sep 25, 2017
  • 08:27 am CDT

ICarry.org: Forums

Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
aphex
Private
Private

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So here is a question for anyone who may have an answer here.

The other night my employer had called a meeting for our yearly violence in the workplace and sexual harassment training. During this meeting we were tole what we already knew that our workplace is a weapon free zone. However, he went on to specify that we cannot even have a weapon, i.e. firearm, in our vehicle because it is parked in their lot. What this means is that I now cannot have my gun when I leave my house at night (3rd shift worker), and I cannot have my gun as I drive 15 miles to work and then back again. All because I have no ware to put it before I pull in their lot.

After the meeting I approached the HR manager and asked how they expected me to be able to lawfully protect myself on my commute to and from work. He responded "this has always been our corporate policy and nobody has ever bothered to question it". So he told me he would contact the legal department.

The legal department responded that we shall continue to follow the rules that they have set forth.

My question is do they even have the right to force me to leave my protection home?
regulatedIllinoisan
Founders Club
Member<br /><b>Founders Club</b>

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

From a strictly philosophical standpoint, the owner of private property can set any rules they want for guests on their property. They could say that anyone who comes on their property must be dressed like a clown, because it's their property.

I haven't studied the Illinois statutes on the matter, but I think that IL respects the right of a business owner to ban guns, even in parked cars, at this time. However, at least one of the concealed carry bills before the IL general assembly would force business owners to allow locked firearms in cars.
snickers
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Park on the street, not on their lot.
aphex
Private
Private

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Not an option. The road is a two lane road with no shoulder and the and the companies property spans about half a mile of the road as well as both sides of the road. What makes is better is there was a shooting last night a around the corner just a few hours after I left for work. So now I have to go out to my car every night where they just removed the street light in front of my house because "it is a low crime area", without being able to protect myself.
Thiokol
Private
Private

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, they absolutely have the right to prohibit firearms on THEIR property. You're on private property and their rules apply. It would be no different than you prohibiting smoking in your house. The property owner has the right to set any rules he likes unless they are illegal.

Smith & Wesson Collectors Association Member #2262
aphex
Private
Private

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well upon more research I have seen that because I am an unfortunate resident of Illinois, they can prohibit me from having it in my vehicle. However it seems that many other states have adopted a law that requires Employees to allow this. Wonder if this will ever make it to Illinois...
SiliconSorcerer
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Requires employers but we know what your saying, certainly would be nice but I doubt that will happen. My office is miles from the edge of the property, that just s..ks.
DownhomeCharley
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Myself..,I would keep what I damned well want to in my vehicle (LOCKED). My employer is not going to search my vehicle because I will not allow it. I will NOT work for anyone who does not observe the constitution and cherish freedom. If you're going to give in to that sort of thing, you might as well take all your guns and ammunition down to the local police department and turn them in like a good citizen. It's just a short matter of time before someone demands you hand them over........you gonna follow THAT rule too???
SiliconSorcerer
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Actually it's the constitution that gives them the right to decide what you bring on their property. You don't have to let them search your vehicle but they don't have to let you work for them either.
Trigger
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

aphex wrote:
Well upon more research I have seen that because I am an unfortunate resident of Illinois, they can prohibit me from having it in my vehicle. However it seems that many other states have adopted a law that requires Employees to allow this. Wonder if this will ever make it to Illinois...

Yes, it will change in the next few months. They will not be able to restrict you from legally having a firearm secured in your locked vehicle.
VannDaddy
Private
Private

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SiliconSorcerer wrote:
Actually it's the constitution that gives them the right to decide what you bring on their property. You don't have to let them search your vehicle but they don't have to let you work for them either.

Actually it's the Constitution that restricts the government from infringing upon the rights you were born with as a human. If the constitution "gives" one rights and the constitution can be amended, then the those rights can be taken away. The constitution was set up, actually the first ten amendments, to protect our rights from the general government. At least that's how it was argued to work during the ratification debates.
JTHunter
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sad to say but the employer's private lot falls under their rules. If it were a "shared" public lot, they could not bar you.

As for keeping the gun in the car and keeping it on the "down low", DON'T!!

I think it was in Oklahoma where the company brought in dogs to walk by employees cars and alert to drugs OR guns. They did this right before deer season and the employees were fired immediately.

Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Because Illinois has no State Statute or Regulation Specifically Governing Firearms in the Workplace it is not that cut and dry.

We have that 'restriction' in place also yet it is not enforceable as the parking lot is not a secure location, meaning that there is nothing to prevent someone from parking there that does not work there. No signs saying anything. (that from our legal department)

It will change in the coming months.
SiliconSorcerer
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There's question question about our parking lot, no uninvited guests. The DEA came in once and took a guys car apart in the parking lot and then took it away and him with it. For a roach!
KB9AMM
Founders Club
Member<br /><b>Founders Club</b>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I can only offer what experience I have. I travel, a lot. I have weapons in ALL of my vehicles. I keep them in finger button lock boxes. If asked, I have told law enforcement officers that my wife is diabetic and she keeps her insulin in there, and I don't know the combination. I keep extra ammo in the glove box and trunk. No law against that. I have NEVER been challenged. When it gets down to it, Employers do NOT have any authority to search your vehicle, UNLESS there is a sign posted that they have the right to search any vehicle entering or leaving the premises. As for the powder sniffing dogs, I always have a few bullets in the glove box & trunk. Some empty brass in a bag in the trunk is a nice touch too. Your in a tough spot. Tread carefully, I know you don't want to loose your job, but you also might want to research if there are any judgements in similar cases that might set a president. Good luck.
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic