Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 44,791,458
  • Today: 3,606
Server InfoServer Info
  • Oct 25, 2014
  • 07:38 am CDT

ICarry.org: Forums

Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ShaunKranish
Executive Director
Founders Club
Executive Director<br /><b>Founders Club</b>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

State Police in undercover cars are apparently confiscating large numbers of guns by going door-to-door to FOID card holders who have either expired cards or revoked cards.

I know this because a couple that are personal friends of mine, who I've known for years, had a visit yesterday. My friend's FOID card was 5 days expired. They confiscated all of his guns and ammunition.

He was at work at the time, but his wife, who has been through a long and hard battle with cancer, was home. The State Police took advantage of her lack of knowledge of her rights and her kindness and used it to steal all of their weapons.

These people were on my trap team. They are good people - the best kind of people. They are originally from Tennessee where this kind of nonsense doesn't happen. They are very fed up with Illinois right now.

Executive Director
Founders Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Update: I talked with 23 WIFR News in Rockford, and the woman I spoke with said this was part of "Operation Clean Sweep"

They don't have any info posted on their site yet (although the lady said that they SHOULD have this info on there, so someone didn't do their job). Then she transferred me to the reporter who is covering this story. I left a message, and hope to hear from her.

Hopefully 23 WIFR will help us out with some information on this. This is very disturbing news indeed. THIS IS GUN CONFISCATION!!!!!

Executive Director
Founders Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow - the ISP has this right on their home page!!! Curious though, it says only 4 firearms recovered. What does that mean I wonder? 4 firearms suspected to be used in crimes?

I know they had a lot more than 4 guns, because my friend saw a large number of guns in the trunk of one of their vehicles. All piled in there. So how could it be only 4?

http://www.isp.state.il.us/media/pressdetails.cfm?ID=608

Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Five days?!?!? A FOID Card is good for ten years and in that time a person has a lot of experiences and problems to occupy their mind. GEEZ!!! I wonder how many people let their car tags expire each year?
TylerH
Founders Club
Member<br /><b>Founders Club</b>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We need some more Oathkeepers

Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The isp site says "REVOKED" foids, not expired! So what is the story, was your friends revoked or expired! I would like to hear more info on this clean sweep thing!
ShaunKranish
Executive Director
Founders Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My friend's card was revoked a long time ago apparently, but she didn't own any guns. I haven't asked her why it was revoked, but I'm guessing due to something her ex-husband did. She can probably own guns in other states, just not Illinois due to the ridiculous FOID system.

I've known people who had cards revoked or denied for absolutely ridiculous reasons. The system is heavily abused and used to deny rights whenever possible. I don't support disarming any peaceable citizen. My friend is one of the kindest, warmest, and most harmless people on the planet. She is a country-western singer, mother of two children, and as I mentioned before has been battling cancer for many years. I am infuriated that the police are picking on people like this. I guess criminals are too scary to go after, so they have to go after harmless people. It's very offensive when people of good character are targeted.

My other friend, her boyfriend (they've lived together for years), was the one who owned guns and ammo. His FOID expired 5 days ago he said.

This thing seems to be a lot of busy-work and "hey look we're doing something" non-sense from the police. Sad, considering how much real crime is going on in Rockford. My friends live in a very nice neighborhood on a HUGE piece of land. So it's not like they are "in the hood" or something.

TylerH is very right in that we need more Oathkeepers. These bonehead "just following orders" guys need to wake up and realize what they are doing is wrong. Newsflash: if you are in law enforcement and are just doing what you are told without thinking, then you are nothing but a hired thug. You deserve and will get no respect. If you are in law enforcement and you are serving the people who are your boss by bravely protecting their rights, then you are a hero! We need you guys to protect all of our rights, and especially the ones that are enshrined in the Constitution. The right to keep and bear arms is one of these. It is a pre-existing right that is listed because of how important it is.

We don't need permission, we don't need a card, we don't need identification or registration, we don't need a number, and we don't need to explain ourselves when we exercise this right. Your job is to protect that right of ours, not follow orders. Think for yourselves, do what's right. Don't confiscate guns!!! When the government did that in the late 1700s it was followed by a revolution. We fought and died in that revolution so that it wouldn't happen again.

Come on!

Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It sounds like they are using the excuse of expired cards to perform illegal searches of the premises! I can't see how any of this is legal.
ShaunKranish
Executive Director
Founders Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you let them do it, then yes it's legal. If you pass on their offer to search and try to find statute violations to file against you and likely put you in handcuffs over, then I guess it's your own fault. My friend was a victim of her own goodheartedness. She wasn't arrested or anything, just got her boyfriend's (also my friend, motorcycle riding buddy, and was also on our trap team) guns confiscated.

They came there looking for guns though, and confiscated them saying it was to fight crime. They went to the wrong house, in the wrong neighborhood if they were interested in fighting crime.

To their credit they were nice and polite and all, but snuffing out Constitutional rights with jackboots isn't excusable even if it's done with a smile. We need these officers to stand up for what they know is right.

Executive Director
Founders Club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I guess this needs to be changed to 2011 Illinois

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

this makes me want to bury my guns out in the woods.

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides
JTHunter
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

6010 - you and me both!!

Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

No disrespect, but man, this is another reason i'm glad I live in Wisconsin. Time for people to move or run for office. What a bunch of BULL!!!
Dorkweed
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Police knocking on your door, doesn't mean you have to answer the door. Unless they yell out "search warrant" I'm not opening the door for any cop on duty.
Lakeman
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dorkweed wrote:
Police knocking on your door, doesn't mean you have to answer the door. Unless they yell out &quot;search warrant&quot; I'm not opening the door for any cop on duty.

We have a sliding window next to the door. I slide that open as I lock the door and talk thru the window. (cop or stranger) Usually w/firearm avail....
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic