Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 44,304,538
  • Today: 5,547
Server InfoServer Info
  • Sep 18, 2014
  • 08:41 am CDT

ICarry.org: Forums

Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JoeFranzese
President
Founders Club
County Coordinator
Lake County, IL
President<br /><b>Founders Club</b><br />County Coordinator<br><b>Lake County, IL</b>

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

By Debbie Schlussel

Although I still believe in the American jury system, there are way too many morons who rule juries and come out with the most outrageous of verdicts. That’s the case with the jury that found pharmacist Jerome Ersland guilty of first-degree murder for shooting an armed man who entered his pharmacy waving a gun. Ersland, who is a disabled military veteran, shot him to defend himself and his customers. Now, he could spend the rest of his life in prison. It’s absurd in the United States of America that a jury acquits O.J. Simpson of murder and finds Jerome Ersland guilty of it. This guy, Ersland, is a hero and saved countless lives. He should be getting medals and keys to the city, not put in the slammer. Soooooo frickin’ insane:

A pharmacist who fatally shot a teenage robber in Oklahoma City was found guilty Thursday of first-degree murder in a jury trial that ignited debate over the limits of self-defense.

The pharmacist, 59-year-old Jerome Ersland, fired a weapon after two young men entered his pharmacy, one of them waving a gun, in May 2009. Mr. Ersland’s bullet hit 16-year-old Antwun Parker in the head, Oklahoma County prosecutors alleged.

Moments later, Mr. Ersland shot Mr. Parker five more times as he lay unconscious on the ground, say prosecutors who had a security surveillance video to bolster their case.

Defense lawyers argued Mr. Ersland had the right to defend himself and others in the store. But the jury, which deliberated for less than four hours, found Mr. Ersland guilty of first-degree murder, punishable by life in prison. . . .

Oklahoma, like more than 20 other states, has encoded the right to self defense through so-called Castle Laws. Under these laws, citizens are allowed to use deadly force when they are threatened in their home—or their “castle”—or place of work. . . .

In the video of the Oklahoma City shooting, Mr. Ersland can be seen firing the first shot and Mr. Parker dropping to the floor. After chasing the other robber out the door, Mr. Ersland returns, walking past the place where Mr. Parker fell to get a second gun out of a drawer. He then points down toward the floor and shoots several times.

The main question before the jury was whether Mr. Parker still represented a threat after the first shot. Under Oklahoma law, the right to use deadly force ends as soon as the menace has passed. . . .

Mr. Ersland had said that Mr. Parker was moving after the initial shot and was therefore still dangerous. Mr. Parker was not visible on the video at that point. . . .

Earlier this year, Ralph Shortey, a state senator who represents the area, introduced the “Jerome Ersland Act,” which would increase protections for citizens who kill or wound someone in the course of protecting themselves.

“The person who came in brandishing the firearm was not the victim, but we’re trying to make him the victim,” Mr. Shortey said.

Oh, and by the way, because the robber is Black and Ersland is White, this is somehow now a race thing. Does this mean that we should turn the fact that the Black robber had a gun and went into a mostly White business into a race thing? But, no worries. The mother of a criminal is turning her criminal thug son’s death into a litigious payday for herself. Cha-ching:

Cleta Jennings, the mother of the dead man, has filed a wrongful death suit asking the court for damages and accusing Mr. Ersland of negligence.

There is no shortage of chutzpah in America. But way too little justice.

More:

“I just regret anybody would get killed,” Ersland said. “But if I wouldn’t have been here, there would have been three people killed — the other pharmacist and the two techs.” . . .

About 10 minutes before 6 p.m., Ersland said, two robbers wearing ski masks waited for someone to leave the pharmacy and then grabbed the open door and threw down a board to stop the door from closing.

The robbers went in cursing and yelling, ordering employees to give them money and drugs, Ersland said.

Two women who were working behind the counter ran for a back room where they would be safe, but Ersland said he couldn’t run. Ersland said he’s a veteran with disabilities . . . wears a cumbersome back brace and just had his latest back surgery six weeks ago.

“All of a sudden, they started shooting,” he said. “They were attempting to kill me, but they didn’t know I had a gun. They said, ‘You’re gonna die.’ That’s when one of them shot at me, and that’s when he got my hand.”

Ersland said he was thrown against a wall, but managed to go for the semiautomatic in his pocket.

“And that’s when I started defending myself,” he said. “The first shot got him in the head, and that slowed him down so I could get my other gun.”

But as one robber hit the floor, Ersland said, a bullet from the other robber whizzed past his ear.

The pharmacist said he then got his second gun from a nearby drawer, a Taurus “Judge.”

After he had the big gun, Ersland said, the second robber ran.

But as he started to chase after the second robber, Ersland said, he looked back to see the 16-year-old he had shot in the head getting up again. Ersland said he then emptied the Kel-Tec .380 into the boy’s chest as he kept going after the second robber.

“I went after the other guy, but he was real fast and I’m crippled,” Ersland said.

Outside the pharmacy, he said he saw what he thought was a third black male in a car with the engine running and reaching for what appeared to be a shotgun.

“I pulled out my ‘Judge’ and pointed it right between his eyes and he floored it,” Ersland said. . . .

“Fortunately, God made them miss me, except for this minor scratch,” Ersland said.

“I was able to return fire and protect the girls’ lives. God was helping me.”

I’m sickened by this unjust verdict. You go into a store with a gun and threaten to kill people, you deserve whatever happens. We don’t know if the initial shot incapacitated this robber thug, and if the robber got up and started killing people, then we’d be sorry he wasn’t shot to death. Also, sometimes people fire off more than one bullet in the heat of defending themselves. That’s normal.

If members of this moronic jury had been in the pharmacy that day, they’d be thanking G-d that Jerome Ersland saved their lives that day.

Jerome Ersland took the life of a criminal thug and attempted murderer to save the lives of several innocent people. He deserves a parade, not an orange jumpsuit.

EXEC. COORDINATOR FOR ICARRY, LAKE COUNTY ILLINOIS
Jimmy121978
Initiate
Initiate

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It is absolutely astonishing that they could find 12 people that could find him guilty of anything. I've never heard of a murderer that got thanks from witnesses.
Ccspinner
Private
Private

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Moments later, Mr. Ersland shot Mr. Parker five more times as he lay unconscious on the ground, say prosecutors who had a security surveillance video to bolster their case.

I think that is a bit excessive, 5 shots into a unconscious person.
I would have to see all the info on that but it does not sound good.
If the person was still charging then no problem.

TylerH
Founders Club
Member<br /><b>Founders Club</b>

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Im with you ccspinner. You shoot to stop the threat, not to execute. I would probably not have convicted h im of murder, but shooting an unconscious oerson seems exessive.

Founders Club

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well...I may as well throw my .03 cents into this discussion as well.
The guy wielding the "Judge" pistol had the upper hand when he returned into the store .Had the man on the floor moved, he should have been cautioned to remain still or face the consequences. I do not think the victim should have been charged with 1st degree murder however, but he did use excessive force after the fact.
Dave
Gold
Member<br /><b>Gold</b>

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'll have to agree with Tylerhooker and Bobc. My CCW was given by a NRA cetrified instructor/retired attourny. This was one thing he cautioned us on, using excessive force can cause problems. Murder no, could of been charged with lesser crime.

Member: NRA, ISRA, USCCA, Second Admendment Foundation, Icarry
DownhomeCharley
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Happens everyday and has been for years. The victim is White and the perpetrator is Black. The right of self defense has been voided. In 1969, Little Rock,Arkansas..., a white couple and their 13 year-old daughter had been out to dinner. Upon arriving home, the family discovered a Black male subject burglarizing their home. The burglar was armed but so was the father/family head. Gunfire was exchanged. The homeowner and suspect were both injured but the daughter was killed. The burglary suspect was acquitted of murder on the grounds that during the exchange of gunfire, the homeowner used a racial slur.
cmegalodon
Founders Club

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Joe,

Thank you for posting this. I was shocked when I heard about the sentence. I agree that the extra five shots were excessive, but who of us know how we will react under the adrenalin surge of being robbed at gunpoint.

He also should have never left the store. He went from a defensible position to an unprotected position.

You pointed out the difference in race. The robbers were defended by the NAACP, not the local district attorney office.

—Rudyard Kipling
DownhomeCharley
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Five shots may or may NOT been excessive. Most street thugs tend to be in much better physical shape than the average person. These days, a prison sentence includes a free gym membership. In addition to being healthy and muscular, if they are wired on any of the readily available illicit drugs..., anything short of a 357 with 180 grain HP will just slow them down a bit. You almost have to put a stake through their heart to stop them.
cmegalodon
Founders Club

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Downhomecharley- i see your point but, Five .410 rounds in the chest from a Judge from a foot or two away should put down Frankenstein.

I just saw some ready made stakes at Mernards the other day. I better stock a few in my GO Bag.

—Rudyard Kipling
jvd5695
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd say mutilation of a corpse at worst.

I certainly wouldn't have convicted him of murder. That is a BS charge.

I'd more than likely double-tap if I had to shoot someone. There is a difference between that and what this person did.
JTHunter
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Excessive force? Yes.
Justified? Maybe.
Judgement appealed? DEFINATELY!!

Founders Club

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

JTHunter wrote:
Excessive force? Yes.
Justified? Maybe.
Judgement appealed? DEFINATELY!!

+1

Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a lot of questions about this case. These are the questions I have:
1. Didn't it say that the B/G was not visible on the video as the pharmacist was re-shooting him?
2. Was the first shot fatal or likely fatal?
3. What was the placement /angle of the last set of shots. (should be pretty easy to tell what the B/G was doing when he was re-shot)

My point:
If the first shot was certainly or almost certainly fatal, then the last few shots are moot. If the B/G WAS getting up, then the last few shots may have been justifiable (unless they were all in his back).
If the second round of shots were in his chest and the first shot wasn't likely fatal (but seriously disabling), then the pharmacist may have executed this guy and that could be a problem for some juries.

Anyone have any more info than the article here?
DM
RogerR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Mr. Ersland said the robber was getting up and he shot him in the chest
The robber was out of video camera when he was getting up
They should be able to see the projectory of the bullets
If the robber was moving and he had shot at me I would shoot again also being in that situtation he could have shot 5 times because of hipe
First lets stop call a 16year old with a ski mask shoot a gun with a buddy also shooting a gun at MR. Ersland a BOY
How many other lives would these robers have taken in the times to come
Hope he gets set free and lives a normal life if possible
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic