Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 44,756,827
  • Today: 7,376
Server InfoServer Info
  • Oct 22, 2014
  • 10:22 am CDT

ICarry.org: Forums

Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
rottin1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I hope not to offend anybody on what im about to say. but when this new carry law passes i think we should have zero tolerance for carry and intoxication of alcohol. after watching a show on national geographic i realize how dangerous alcohol really is. we all know that intoxication effects a persons judgement. im sure there are some leos reading this that will agree with me. i am all for the right to carry but i dont want to see or hear about intoxicated permit holders making a bad judgement call. carry of a firearm is serious business and it shouldnt be compremized by impaired judgement of alcohol intoxication. give me some feedback. i may be the uneducated one on this topic.
Dave
Gold
Member<br /><b>Gold</b>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you check the concealed carry laws of must states, you are not permitted to enter any place that sells alcohol, especially bars. Other states permit C.C. permit holders to enter a restaurant that also sells alcohol, but not drink alcohol. It's easy to find an individual state's C.C. permit laws. Go the official states web site and look up concealed carry laws. There is also a web site "Concealed Carry Laws of All 50 States"

Member: NRA, ISRA, USCCA, Second Admendment Foundation, Icarry
rottin1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

its not the entering of a tavern or restaurant that im concerned with. what concerns me is carrying while intoxicated. and what actions should illinois take with on this subject. just trying to start a topic. not down talking boozing it up with your buds.
Dave
Gold
Member<br /><b>Gold</b>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Guns and alcohol don't mix, just as driving and alcohol don't mix. There are some states that forbid drinking while concealed carrying. Not a good idea if you want to keep your permit. Florida will revoke a permit if one is convicted of DUI. If you'd be caught carrying while intoxicated, I'm sure the media would have a field day. That would give other CCW's a "black eye" and more "ammo" for the anti guns. If you were involved in a shooting while Drunk While Carrying, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes.

6010rocks
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

as I read this I am going another law people will not follow. you can't legislate responsible gun owners.

but I remember having a dui as a major strike against a foid app or a utah permit.

I'd like to agree with you but it's another law that probabley won't do any good.

good idea and it makes sence but like the foid card there are those who just won't care.

I'm not disagreeing with you but I don't see the point. perhaps you could highlight what I'm missing

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides
VannDaddy
Private
Private

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You're correct that some people won't obey the laws, but those people will/are probably carry/carrying and drink/drinking anyways. The OP was just bringing up an opinion they had, one which by the way I agree with. My variant is I don't mind people carrying in places that sell/serve alcohol as long as they don't drink. Though I myself occasionally will have a beer, I never while I'm carrying, and occasionally meet up with friends at bars to catch up without feeling the need to drink (not while carrying - I've never carried in a bar). Whatever law we get, I'm just hoping I can protect my family here in Illinois as I can in other states where I'm not forbidden to carry.
Dave
Gold
Member<br /><b>Gold</b>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was in law enforcement for a numbers years. I don't have a problems with one drink. The problems is,if you HAVE to pull it out and someone smells alcohol on your breath. Neither do I have a problem with buying alcohol while carrying. (I brew my own, so don't have that problem.) I'll have a beer while cleaning a gun, but the ammo is not in the area. As for drinking in a bar, not a good idea. Even if you are with friends and may have just one. I've seen too many times, an innocent person(s) sitting in a bar minding their own business. A fight breaks out and the innocent ones are unwillingly pulled into the brawl. While on duty I've been called to fights and have had someone try to grab my weapon, out of the holster. (My duty holster had a thumb release.) Presently several of my C.C. holsters have thumb releases. One may do as one wants, but crap can and does happen.

KB9AMM
Founders Club
Member<br /><b>Founders Club</b>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I just wanted to mention, in WI, the allow us to CC in a establishment that serves alcohol, as long as we do not consume. There are too many restaurants that now serve alcohol. Even though they are not a bar, they still have a liquor license. Even the Moose lodge or the corner burger joint now has a liquor license and sells beer. But, I have found out, that in this day and age, not everyone drinks alcohol at these places. They go to play cards, tell lies, and sip diet ginger ale.
DownhomeCharley
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

In some states, Missouri for example, driving under the influence with a gun in the car is instant felony!!!
VannDaddy
Private
Private

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

From everything I've read here, we are all in agreement that its a bad idea to consume alcohol while CC. I also agree with Dave about crap happening 100%. That is why, I'm sure we can all agree, we choose to carry where and when we can. If we're in a restaurant that serves, or a bar with friends (possibly being a designated driver), or at a lodge type establishment, as long as we don't consume and carry, there shouldn't be a problem with carrying.
DownhomeCharley
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Some states also have a somewhat complicated rule on CC and alcohol establishments. One CANNOT carry into a bar/tavern BUT......may carry into a restaurant where alcohol represents less than 40% of their sales.
VannDaddy
Private
Private

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I wasn't specifically trying to get it the laws of the states. I think the range goes from being able to carry in a bar, not while consuming, not being able to be in any establishment that serves alcohol. When I carry, I always do my homework on where I can go and where I can't.
JTHunter
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Let us see what the antis dream up first without giving them ideas.

Private
Private

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

As I said, I'd like to see carry in any establishment even if it sells/serves alcohol. If the antis say people can't be trusted then why have all these "Be a designated driver" public service ads. I wouldn't mind hanging out with my friends, bs'n, enjoying a coca cola, being the designated driver AND the designated carrier.
SiliconSorcerer
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with don't drink when carrying that's it.
I mean if you can't enter an establishment that serves alcohol that would make the same sense as making bars with parking lots illegal.
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic