Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 44,888,969
  • Today: 2,592
Server InfoServer Info
  • Nov 01, 2014
  • 05:09 am CDT

ICarry.org: Forums

Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Ratbelly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Another Illinois resident has a stripped ar15 lower for sale that we've worked out a deal on. He's about 2 hours away from me, and suggested he just send it in the mail. I thought since lowers had a serial number they were considered firearms and had to be transferred though a dealer?

We're both in Illinois and both have valid foid cards, if it makes any difference.
TomCarter
Private
Private

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am pretty sure your thoughts are correct, unless you do it face to face, it will have to be shipped to and transferred through a dealer since it is the one part of an AR that has a serial number. Someone else please correct me if I am wrong.
6010rocks
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

4 hr drive and gas may be worth it to save all the other work

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides
get_on_target
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Even a stripped lower must go through an FFL.

And since your talking about a person to person sale there would be a transfer fee as well as the shipping costs that the buyer would have to pay to buy the lower receiver.

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

what are all these fees on the back of my foid I understood it as you buy your gun and sell it. person to person record the other foid and you keep the record on hand for 10yrs 1 day no fees

am I reading something wrong or am I missing something?

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides
jpryor
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

The only thing I could find is that you are allowed to mail the lower to an FFL. I believe for a private sale to be legal, it must be face to face...and you must obtain the aforementioned transfer receipt and keep it for 10 years.

SiliconSorcerer
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote="jpryor"]
Quote:
The only thing I could find is that you are allowed to mail the lower to an FFL. I believe for a private sale to be legal, it must be face to face...and you must obtain the aforementioned transfer receipt and keep it for 10 years.

Correct however not specifically sale but DELIVERY but that' just nitpicking on words. After 10 years start the fireplace with it. I've never heard of a transfer fee.
get_on_target
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The transfer fee I mentioned is what the FFL holder would charge you if you buy the lower receiver or any firearm through the mail.

The "fee" is basically for the FFL holder's time to do the paperwork to make the transaction legal.

Private
Private

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

if your that close i would think i would just pick it up i'm sure nothing will happen with shipping it BUT,... you never know and if you did ship and it didn't go thru a FFL everyone's B*lls are in the wringer if it is found
Off topic any know any thing about the Polymer lowers ?
Getzapped
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It has to be shipped to an FFL. A Lower is considered a firearm. You will save a lot of tiem and money by just having it shipped. You will spend more in gas driving to pick it up. I don't know your location but I charge $25 for transfers.
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic