Site Info v2.2.2
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 45,818,404
  • Today: 17,046
Server InfoServer Info
  • Dec 20, 2014
  • 01:25 pm CST

ICarry.org: Forums

Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
vancamp13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi everyone, I'm really wanting to pick up a revolver, preferably a .357 or .45 colt. I like the Smith and Wesson models and a few of the rugers. I'm not too picky at the moment, just looking for options. If you are trying to sell one, single or single/double action, I'm interested. So, send me a message if you have anything good and let me know what you're asking. Thanks guys, looking forward to seeing your gear.

Oh, and I'm looking to do an FTF in northern Illinois. I'm in Aurora, so somewhere nearby there. Thanks
Trigger
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

vancamp13 wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm really wanting to pick up a revolver, preferably a .357
Oh, and I'm looking to do an FTF in northern Illinois. I'm in Aurora, so somewhere nearby there. Thanks

Armslist has a S&W 686 in Oswego for sale. No price listed though.

(we have 2 of them or I would be interested)

Absolutely the best revolvers. Although some of the Rugers are fine, S&W are better.
vancamp13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I saw that and I did speak to him. I could get a new one for what he is asking for a 15 year old used. And he was very set on price. I love the 686 and its am excellent gun, just not worth that much. Thanks for the info though
TylerH
Founders Club
Member<br /><b>Founders Club</b>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

vancamp13 wrote:
I saw that and I did speak to him. I could get a new one for what he is asking for a 15 year old used. And he was very set on price. I love the 686 and its am excellent gun, just not worth that much. Thanks for the info though

I find that happens a lot with online sellers. Gunbroker, Armslist, Craigslist, etc..... people set unrealistic prices. If I can get the same item that you are selling used new for the same or a lower price why on Earth would I pay what you are asking.

Do a little research people! Post competitive prices.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, I think most people don't realize that unless it is a very rare or high end gun, as soon as you put rounds through it, the value drops from what you bought it from, just like a car, you drive it off the lot, the value you can sell it for drops big time. You aren't going to get what you paid for your gun, unless it's extremely collectible. Hope I can find someone who will work for an actual reasonable price.
Trigger
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

People have been nuts lately with prices, especially on Armslist.

There are 2 S&W 686 on there now, one is listed at $700.00, the other has make an offer.

So does the guy in Oswego want an arm & leg too?

I got one of ours on this site for $515.00 used. Looked great, shoots the same. (and it was the + version, 7 round)

Same old stuff listed time after time anymore most places.
vancamp13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

He's asking $650, non-negotiable in Oswego. It'd be nice because that's 5 minutes from me, but if I was gonna spend $650-$700, I could get one brand new with box and paperwork and everything. It's an excellent gun, don't get me wrong, just a used gun isn't worth that. I'm looking to spend about $500-$550, what it is actually worth. I'll find a smart seller eventually who actually wants to sell their stuff. lol
TylerH
Founders Club
Member<br /><b>Founders Club</b>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Try theoutdoorstrader

Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

vancamp13 wrote:
He's asking $650, non-negotiable in Oswego. l

Yup, to much.

You will find one in the $500.00 range given time.

There was a nice used S&W revolver at Cabela's not very long ago.
$399.99.

Don't remember the model.
get_on_target
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I saw a S&W 686 Plus at Gander Mt. in Joliet for under $600.00. I'm not sure but I think the 686 Plus is a 7 round revolver.

I own a 686 that I paid $430.00 at the begining of the year. The seller gave me a box of .357 ammo since he did not have a box or p/w to go with it.

He needed the money because he saw a Raging Bull in .44 Mag and that was the selling price for that gun.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What you might be missing on the 686 values is that the older ones hold their value due to parts changes over time and that the newer ones have a lock which people (me included) don't like.
Trigger
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The one that I got from someone on this site was pre-lock.

We have some of the newer model with and it really does not matter to me one way or the other.

Some people are just nuts with their 'asking' prices.

More power to them if they get it. Makes our guns worth more I guess.......
retlaw357

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

PM sent if your still in the market.
jpryor
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Looks like retlaw has a Taurus 66 .357 for sale. I have the 4" stainless version and it's a fantastic piece for the price. It's no S&W, but the trigger is smooth and it's accurate.

JTHunter
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Another place to consider is PAWN SHOPS. If you aren't too picky, you can find a reasonable bargain.
I have recently priced S&W 686's, Ruger GP100's, Rossi's, and an EAA "Windicator" in .357 Magnum. Talk about "sticker shock"!! Exclamation
One store had a 686 for OVER $770 !! Shocked
The Rossi (which didn't fit my hand comfortably) was almost $400. A new GP100 in SS was $570 but I found a blued version that, according to the ser. num. on Ruger's website, was made just last year in a pawn shop. They were asking $495 but I pointed out to them that:
1.) They didn't know any of the background/age of the pistol;
2.) They had no box or manual;
3.) The "cylinder gap" seemed to be overly large, esp. when compared to the other revolvers they had there;
4.) And, that a NEW SS version was only $75 more than they were asking.
I asked what they would take for a "cash" sale, no plastic, no checks, and they agreed to eat the sales tax and just rounded it to an even $500. Considering that at $570, the tax on the SS would be about $45. That saved me about $115.

That doesn't sound too shabby, does it? Question

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic