Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 61,843,161
  • Today: 8,509
Server InfoServer Info
  • Sep 20, 2017
  • 01:14 pm CDT

ICarry.org: Forums

Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
vette02
Initiate
Initiate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I’ve co-written an iPhone app that I think might be of interest. This app is a crowd-sourced listing of anti-gun locations (stores, restaurants, etc…) Posted! - Carry List Anti-Gun Locations (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/posted!-carry-list-anti-gun/id530004581)

As with all of my other apps, I based this on what I and others I spoke with thought would be really useful! I always found it annoying to make plans with friends to go to a restaurant, only to be turned away at the last second because of their “no guns” sign, or to drive all the way to a store, only to find out I could not enter to buy the item I needed. This app makes it very easy to find locations that prohibit carry (based on current location, city, or name), so you know before going to one And it makes it very easy to add such locations to the list (including picture, GPS, address, and description), so others will know where to avoid.

Wisconsin has the best data so far. I recieved permission from WisconsinGunOwners.org to use information from their latest Anti-gun business list, so there are now 831 locations listed in Wisconsin. I have updated the list to include addresses and GPS coordinates of all locations on the list. We've also had some new locations added by members in Wisconsin.

The description is below. Please let me know what you think! I’m always looking for ways to make it better. BTW, it will also be available for Android in a few weeks too.

App Description:
This application is for any gun owner! The purpose of this app is for the legal and conscientious concealed carry license holder to know where they cannot legally carry before getting there. A licensed permit holder or a resident of a constitutional carry state can usually legally carry their firearm in any location other than statutory "no carry" locations such as schools, gov. buildings, etc., and in locations that are posted prohibiting firearms. This is a list of those Posted locations.

Find hotels where you can’t carry before booking a trip to one. Find restaurants where you cannot carry before making dinner plans. Find stores to avoid before you step out the door. It is extremely inconvenient to not find out until you get to a location that they prohibit your second amendment rights. You have to either disarm in the parking lot (causing your vehicle to be a target for thieves) or go somewhere else at the last second. If you know beforehand, you can avoid the places that prohibit carry, or you can leave your firearm at home if you must attend.

This is Release 1.0 of the application. So far, we have a large number of "Posted anti-gun" locations collected in Wisconsin, Michigan, Kansas, Arizona, and Nebraska. We have assembled smaller lists in Florida, Iowa, Idaho, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, and Washington; all provided by many great gun forums and sites with their permission. Since it is crowd-sourced by users like you, please be patient while the list grows! The initial Database doesn't have listings yet for other states. Be the first person in your state to grab data and add it to the app! You receive attribution for listing, and will receive special thanks for starting your state's listing!

This list is user-updated, and will continue to get better over time. But this relies on you! If you go to a place not on the list and they have a sign, please add it with a few clicks via the "Add Location" button! If a place had taken down their sign, get it removed the same way! If you already have a list of anti-gun businesses in your area or state, please send me an email. We would love to include any data you have collected, and give you credit for it!

Last edited by vette02 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:49 pm; edited 7 times in total
KB9AMM
Founders Club
Member<br /><b>Founders Club</b>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

OK,.... I think I'm missing the point of this???
TylerH
Founders Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think to keep you safe, in states where it's against the law to enter posted places, and to keep your money out of such places.

Initiate
Initiate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

KB9AMM wrote:
OK,.... I think I'm missing the point of this???

Laughing Evidently, any post with the "url" marker within it doesn't display in live mode. I took out the URL link, and now it shows up...

TylerH wrote:
I think to keep you safe, in states where it's against the law to enter posted places, and to keep your money out of such places.

I agree. That's why I wrote the app. It was annoying to get all the way to their door, and then turn around and have to go elsewhere. Whereas if you know beforehand that a certain business is a "Criminal Friendly Zone", you can go elsewhere right away, and don't waste the trip.
KB9AMM
Founders Club

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

OK, Thanks. It was just a blank post when I saw it. Carry - on!!
vette02
Initiate
Initiate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Android version has now gone live.

The "Android" version of "Posted! Carry List Anti-gun Locations" has been released (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ryan.posted)

It shares the same Location DB, and has all the same features. (Of course any location updates or new locations from either app will go to the central DB and are included in both apps.)
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic