Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 61,910,290
  • Today: 4,135
Server InfoServer Info
  • Sep 25, 2017
  • 08:24 am CDT

ICarry.org: Forums

Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
KB9AMM
Founders Club
Member<br /><b>Founders Club</b>

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Green Bay Press Gazette c/p

More money sought to cover concealed carry
Number of gun applications, permits growing

MADISON The state Justice Department on Wednesday asked legislators for permission to spend an additional $788,000 to ensure the agency can keep up with concealed carry applications.

The request again illustrates the popularity of Wisconsin's concealed carry law. The Department of Justice has been grappling with a deluge of permit applications since the Republican-authored measure took effect in November.

As of last week, the agency had received more than 120,000 applications and issued nearly 111,000 permits. Department officials say they're currently receiving more than 2,000 applications every week. The law requires them to conduct a background check and make a permit issuing decision within 21 days for every applicant, creating a huge time and manpower crunch on the agency.

The law authorized the department to spend $236,700 from application fees to hire one full-time employee and 10 temporary employees to handle the applications. It wasn't enough; the department was forced to pull employees from other assignments to help.

In December, the Legislature's budget committee approved a department request to release more application fee revenue to hire 21 additional workers to beef up the approval operation and offset the impending loss of the initial temporary workers. The agency still fell short of meeting its deadlines for three weeks in January, however.

The agency has been meeting the deadlines for the past several months, but department officials want the Legislature's Joint Finance Committee to release an additional $788,548 from application revenue to ensure they don't fall behind again.

Division of Management Services Administrator Bonnie Cyganek wrote in a memo to Republican Gov. Scott Walker's administration that turnover among the new employees has dogged the department. For example, six temps will be finished by the end of June and two more will be done by September, Cyganek said. Meanwhile, workers from other divisions are still helping process applications and 100,000 application-related documents are waiting to be scanned into department computers.

The department needs $384,520 to hire eight two-year workers to replace the soon-to-be lost temps, Cyganek wrote. The agency also needs $358,028 for additional supplies ranging from postage to envelopes and $46,000 to cover a new firearms unit supervisor and employee promotions, she added.

She noted that application fees had generated more than $5 million in revenue as of the end of April and projections indicate the fees will bring in an additional $5 million in the coming year.

"Use of these funds will provide the critical staff and funding needed to produce and distribute the concealed carry licenses within the time constraints required by law throughout (the next year)," she said.

The finance committee must award the department the money automatically if no members object by July 2. Republicans control the committee, but Erik Peterson, chief-of-staff for Sen. Lena Taylor, D-Milwaukee, and a longtime finance member, said he doubted any Democratic members would raise any objections.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20120614/GPG0101/206140418/Wisconsin-seeks-more-money-to-cover-concealed-carry?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|GPG-News
churchmouse
Private
Private

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

boy
if govener Q-ball and rhambo of chicago got wind that there is $ to graft off
of this they must just go for it,.. NOT
they would set such a high amount that the average joe/joan could not afford it
and make it so restrictive (like the chicago gun permit only in your house
NOT in your yard NOT in your garage)and host of guns you can not own
hopefully il will finally catch on and move with the rest of the country
6010rocks
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I spent the entire day 1 mile from the wisconsin border(illinois side) and let me tell you when your that close to wisconsin Illinois really fouls up your nose.

I drove into WI for the hell of it but my gun stayed cased I didn't feel like redressing with a holster and I didn't have anything to do there but I wanted to be in wisconsin sence ccw passed. I was actually quite literally with in shooting distance of the welcome to Wisconsin sign

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic