Last SeenLast Seen
Server TrafficServer Traffic
  • Total: 45,297,780
  • Today: 1,846
Server InfoServer Info
  • Nov 29, 2014
  • 02:25 am CST

ICarry.org: Forums

Forum FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PeoriaGraphics
Private
Private

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I recently purchased a Ruger SP101 38 Special / 357 Magnum 5 shot revolver for $400 out the door. I haven't fired it yet, but I do Open carry in my house and property loaded. I know as much as there is to know about this pistol just FYI. The ammo is fairly cheap in both 357 magnums and 38 specials, even hollow points. And it has the punching power to stop the bad guy.

Anywho...Can I get some opinions from all of you if you think this would be a good home defense/personal defense firearm?

Below is a pic I just took in my kitchen....

Let me know whatchya think...I will get better pics when it's light out...better with natural lighting.
TomCarter
Private
Private

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good looking revolver, I wouldn't mind having one myself. I have a S&W 5906 9mm, but truthfully, I would rather have a good revolver over an auto. I just seem to shoot them better. Also, wheel guns aren't picky about what kind of ammo you feed them. you pull the trigger and they go bang.

TC
PeoriaGraphics
Private
Private

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks Tom! I had the choice of either 2 more shotguns, another AK-47 or SKS, or this beauty.....I'm pretty satisfied I chose this Ruger...

I would love to get another one too!
PeoriaGraphics
Private
Private

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Also, do you all think I paid a decent price for this? $400 out the door.
jvd5695
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Too bad you aren't in Mapleton, WI, because you'd be 5 min away and I'd probably snap that up in a minute!
MichaelChappell
Founders Club
County Coordinator
Piatt County
<b>Founders Club</b><br />County Coordinator<br><b>Piatt County</b>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a couple of 357mags for home defense, and I love them for it. I also have my S&W Sigma in 40 cal. for home defense. The .357 or .38 special are a good home defense round. Decent stopping power, and with the right hollow points, they don't seem to penetrate walls as bad as some other rounds. I still say that the best home defense firearm is a good tactical shotgun loaded, buckshot, slug, buckshot!!

Nice Revolver by the way!!!

Gun Owner
Voter
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger
Trigger
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

A .357 revolver for home/self defense?

Positively the best all around gun in my opinion.

If you cannot change someones mind in 5, 6 or 7 bangs there is little hope.

The flames shooting out the end also look very impressive.

Nice choice.
frizzyt
Private
Private

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Here is a site you might enjoy http://rugerforum.net/!
panzermk2
Private
Private

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That is about the best .357 money can buy. It's not light but it will never break and you will never stretch the frame firing +P.

www.fivesevenforum.com

"...an imperfect plan implemented immediately and violently will always succeed better than a perfect plan." -- Gen. George S. Patton

[CENTER][img]http://i39.p
themiller
Private
Private

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I hope you mean you currently OC a different firearm in your home. if not - I strongly suggest shooting this one before trusting your life to it...

I've had more than a few brand spanking new firearms in my life not work out of the box, including revolvers, glocks, and "high-end" rifles.
PeoriaGraphics
Private
Private

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

JVD, I don't think I'll sell this revolver...I will probably keep it and hand it down to one of my sons before I die. Same goes with the rest of my guns.

Michael, Thanks! I wanted my first pistol to have that punching power, and less moving parts with less of a chance to break. So I got this revolver. Also cause it's basically dummy proof. Anyone can learn to load and fire this.

Trigger, I totally agree with you! Plus it can use both 357 Magnum, and also 38 Special. So I have that little play in the ammo to choose from. From the looks of the cylinder, looks as though 38's were fired quit a few times...Any suggestions on how to get the black off from the inside of the chambers of the cylinder without having to almost drummel sand it? It's smooth, but you can just see it.

TheMiller, I have trained with over 100+ typed of firearms (military)and even 357 magnum snubbies. I just haven't fired this Ruger yet. But I know the recoil and how to handle it. This isn't a brand new pistol either. It's used..... I will be shooting it in the next week or two though. Just for the hell of it. Maybe throw 25 rounds down range. Plus I know the guys that sold it to me and they aren't shady at all, and IF anything were to be messed up with it, they'd take care of it for me. I'll even make a video of me shooting it and post it here...if we can use the youtube BBCode.....
PeoriaGraphics
Private
Private

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Also, what would you all suggest as for carrying extra ammo on my person? Is there a special pouch that can also be holstered on my belt to hold so many 357 or 38 special rounds?
jvd5695
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

oops, misread the post. Guess that's what I get for posting inebriated Embarassed Rolling Eyes

Grats on the gun though.

I'd get a couple of these
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=466721

and they make pouches for the speedloaders, something like these.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=775937
PeoriaGraphics
Private
Private

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I bought all my aftermarket parts to trick out my SKS from Midway! I get their 10 pound product magazine in the mail too...lol. Small world.

I just came from the big pawn/gun shop in Pekin (across the river) about an hour ago, and they have the exact things you just showed me...(great minds think alike)....lol

The speedloaders are $10 and the exact pouch is $15 at the shop...$35 total an no wait...

MidwayUSA is $27.99 for 2 Speedloaders and the pouch, shipping is $4.27.

If I had the patience, I'd order from there and save the $2. Or wait till I had a need for more parts or whatnot to make the order even more worth while.

Anywho, I just bough a heavy duty Nylon Cartridge Belt, Model WBRIFL2"U (Python Holster Company), and this way I can keep my holster on this new belt all the time, so when I get home, all I have to do is put it on around my waist. It also has 25 slots for rounds, and both 357 Magnum and 38 Specials fit in them perfectly and snug! So no need for the speedloaders for now. Eventually I will get a few to stock with my ammo stockpile.
Dorkweed
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've not done this, but I'm telling you of it just to be a good forum member!!!!! I've got only 1 revolver..........a Ruger Redhawk in .44 Magnum. I've got a couple speed loaders with .44 Special loaded in them. In all honesty, I've not shot this gun in years, but I still love it.

All that said, were I to get a new revolver, if the cylinder didn't come machined for it, I'd machine the cylinder to accept "full moon" clips for whatever caliber it was chambered for. I'd tried them once on a friends revolver, and IMHO, they're a faster reload than the traditional speed loaders!!!!
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic